Can YOU Answer The Call?
SBPD HIRING REQUIREMENTS
experience is helpful?
The selection process is highly competetive; the most qualified applicants have the best opportunity for employment selection. Some "plus" Factors:
- Police related experiencve (Military/other departments)
- Education (College Degree)
- College Internships
- Volunteerism/Community service background
incidents can disqualify me for consideration as a South Bend Police Officer?
Any of these incidents in your background will disqualify you from consideration as a South Bend Police officer.
Any felony conviction in Indiana or another violation in another state that would
be a felony if committed in Indiana.
2. Marijuana illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale.
3. Any dangerous drug or narcotic illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale.
4. Use of any dangerous drugs or narcotics (includes steroids).
5. Use of marijuana. Experimental usage of marijuana may be permitted.
6. Conviction of or adjudged to have violated traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles with such frequency so as to indicate a disrespect for traffic law and a disregard for the safety of other persons on the highway within the past (3) three years. Acceptable frequency level to be determined by Police Chief or his designee.
7. Dishonorable discharge from the United States Armed Forces.
8. Previous denial of certified status, revoked or having current certified status under suspension (Refers only to ILEA certified police officers).
9. Current abuse of prescription medications.
10. Documented evidence of Domestic Violence at any time, or a Domestic Violence conviction.
11. Documentation of any serious criminal offense.
You must also be 21 years of age, but under 36 years of age at the time of appointment as an officer. State Pension retirement funding (PERF) required officers hired must not have reached their 36th birthday by date of hire. Officers interested in lateral employment who are already enrolled in PERF may be exempt from this rule.
Must be willing if appointed to reside in St. Joseph County, or adjoining county within the state of Indiana
Must be a U.S. Citizen
Must possess a valid and unrestricted Drivers License
School Graduate, with proof of transcript
FALSIFICATION, OMISSION, MISREPRESENTATION, OR DECEPTION IN ANY STAGE OF THE APPLICANT PROCESS WILL RESULT IN YOUR IMMEDIATE REMOVAL FROM CONSIDERATION.
The City of South Bend is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
What It Takes..STEP UP.
So you've heard the call and are thinking about police work as a career?
>>> READ MORE
STAY THE COURSE.
Police work: physically and mentally demanding. "Fitness" is a state of mind.... and body.
>>> READ MORE