Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Vacant Apartment Trespass
Q: Hi, I own a apartment on the northwest side. My tenants said they called about a unit next door that has a unit empty and kids congregate in the apartment by break in and party. The landlord of this building I have been told is bedridden and does not know this. When they called and told police, they were told them they could not do anything. Is that true?

A: If a unit is empty and is not secured, code enforcement should be contacted or the complex management should be informed to take steps to secure the unit. If persons are found inside and they are not informed by the property owner (if that owner can be found) they will be advised they are not welcome on the property. Further repeat incidents once informed can lead to trespassing charges.

Problem is when there is no known or reachable owner to advise police or the unwanted persons that they are not welcome on the property, it is near impossible to prosecute for trespass. Hopefully sealing the property will alleviate this problem.


posted by South Bend Police Department @ 10:44 AM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post