Sunday, January 18, 2009
Nuisance Apartment Neighbors
Q.: I just moved here from Alaska so I am very new here. I smell marijuana burning in my apartment building at night is there a number I can call and I don't have to tell them who I am so they can come check out the smell?

A: I would recommend speaking to the leasing agent/office about the activities that you suspect is taking place in your neighbors apartment. Many apartment complexes (especially federally subsidized ones) have stringent guidelines about illegal activity such as drug use that can have residents evicted. It is difficult for officers to investigate marijuana being smoked inside private residences because of case law on needing warrants and the difficulty in obtaining in a timely manner if persons will not allow police in. If you suspect drug activity in terms of selling narcotics you can call the Narcotic Sales tip line at 235-9406.


posted by South Bend Police Department @ 1:45 PM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post