Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Ignition Interlock Devices
Q: Hi there, my father is an alcoholic and has had 2 DUI arrests. After a year off from drinking due to a series of knee surgeries, he has started driving again and is basically intoxicated most of that time. My family is wondering if there is anything we can do to get him off the street and in turn get him away from potentially killing an innocent family or person. We have looked into an interlock system so that he will have to breath into a device in order to start the car. That seem like the best alternative since my mom works and cannot take his car keys away and cannot babysit him all the time and know what he is up to. Does that require a court order to get that done?

A: A breath interlock device for the ignitions is a smart idea. These are sometimes ordered in DUI/OWI convictions by judges, although this is unfortunately not a common option in St. Joseph County cases that I have seen.

All DUI offenders have the potential to benefit from the use of an ignition interlock - its installation allows offenders to maintain their responsibilities while also reminding them that their behavior has a direct impact on their right to drive. Court systems and motor vehicle administrations agree that it is a valuable tool because it deters individuals from driving while intoxicated while the device is installed. Additionally, when its use is required as a provision of probation/parole, the threat of doing jail time better ensures that DUI offenders will correctly use the device each and every time he/she gets behind the wheel.

In your case, the installation would be dependent upon court order or through the BMV. If your father is still on probation for an OWI offense, you may be able to petition for this by discussing it with his probation officer. If he is not, it is unfortunately unlikely that one can involuntarily be placed without his consent or court order. You may try contacting the BMV as well to see if they have any input. Another option may be to research the use and attempt to convince your father that it may be a valuable tool in preventing another OWI before it happens with possible tragic outcomes. Good Luck!


posted by South Bend Police Department @ 3:05 PM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post