Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Defamation of Character?
Q: I would like to know what I can do with someone I know that has sent me an email on my personal computer that I responded kindly back with a 'please delete me from your email list' that has since gone on with defamation of me in retaliation sending more emails to family and friends some of whom he does not even know, how am I able to be protected and defended how can I report this individual?

A: Your case sounds complex. To establish a claim of defamation in Indiana, a plaintiff must prove the existence of "a communication with defamatory imputation, malice, publication, and damages." In Indiana, the actual malice standard in matters of public concern applies to not only public figures but private individuals as well. If you wish to sue for damages arising from this civil legal matter you need to seek the advice of an attorney who specializes in these claims, and be able to provide the burden of proof of what happened and why/how you were damaged.


posted by South Bend Police Department @ 3:30 PM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post