Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Loud Noise From Neighbor Stereo
Q: I have a neighbor who plays his car stereo loudly. It was so loud it woke me up twice in the last two weeks. I do not want to approach this person. I am a single white female living alone. I cannot get the license plate # as he has tinted plastic covering his license plate. I couldn't see the numbers. My question is, can an officer drive by and get the license plate number and send him a warning letter in the mail to let him know he is disturbing his neighbors? I work hard and am tired of being woke up in the middle of the night.

Q: I have a neighbor who revs their engine and honks their horn after midnight repeatedly every night. We have asked them to please stop because it's waking my children who have school, to no prevail.

A: Unfortunately there is not a way to send a generic enforcement letter or contact unless an officer can verify this complaint. This would need to be done by you contacting the police when this noise complaint is taking place and if witnessed, the officer can take appropriate action, including a verbal warning or citation. I suggest to contact our non emergency number (235-9201) to report when this is happening when possible.


posted by South Bend Police Department @ 11:54 AM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post