Monday, June 04, 2007
Vehicles Registered to Another County
Q: Hello. I have observed a person who has owned a home in the Lydick area for over 7 years who has a LaPorte County license plate on his car. I am assuming he did this through his mother who lives in LaPorte County, and doing this for insurance purposes to get a
lower multiple vehicle rate. Is this unlawful or just unethical?

A: Without knowing your neighbor's circumstances it is difficult to determine if it is legitimate or not. Indiana Code 9-24-13-4 requires a licensee to immediately notify the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, in writing, of a change of address. The BMV recommends having both your driver license and your registration amended at your local license branch within 60 days of moving. Hoosiers moving to a new residence do not have to amend their driver license, but do need to notify the BMV, in writing, of their new address. Motorists should include their old address, driver license number, Social Security Number and new address.

New Indiana residents must obtain an Indiana driver license, title and vehicle registration within 60 days of establishing residency.


posted by South Bend Police Department @ 8:18 PM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post