Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Using a Dependants SSN Illegally
Q:What i can do to my daughters father legally for obtaining her social security number from somewhere. I never gave it to him. He obtained it and used this on his tax refund to pay back child support. I want to press charges and know how to file a police report. Since he has done this I have to go through a long process to get my own refund from the IRS>

A:From the IRS: If someone files their Federal tax return themselves electronically or through a tax service electronically and the return rejects because someone has already used their SSN or has claimed their dependent using the dependent's SSN, they can file a paper return with the Internal Revenue Service for their Federal taxes and it will go through the system and be processed. The system will catch the duplicate use of the SSN’s and will be pulled for correction. The victim along with the other taxpayer will then be contacted by the Internal Revenue Service Campus, servicing their area, for proof of claiming the dependent. The ineligible taxpayer will have to file an amended return taking off that dependent and will face penalties and other actions as deem appropriate.

If the taxpayer has any other questions, they can contact the IRS hotline at 1-800-829-1040. If they would like to report it for fraud, they can call the IRS Fraud Hotline at 1-800-829-0433.
posted by South Bend Police Department @ 9:29 PM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post