Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Crash Report Procedures
Q: Do you respond to every traffic accident? Are there certain types that you would not go to and issue a police report?

A: If called, a police officer will respond to a crash for investigation. From there a state crash report will be taken if it is an injury accident, or if damage is over $1000.00, and if damage is estimated under $1000.00 no crash report is required by state law. Drivers may exchange information/insurance info themselves, or an officer may come out and provide this name exchange information for you. No official report is required in these cases.

In addition, any individual involved in accident resulting in injury, death or property damage in excess of $1,000.00 must now forward a written report of the accident to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of the incident.

Previous state law required that an Operator’s Crash Report be forwarded to the Indiana State Police within 10 days of the accident. The State Police would then supply such reports to the BMV. Effective January 1, 2006, all Indiana Operator’s Proof of Insurance/Crash Reports (SR21), formerly known as the Operator’s Crash Reports, must be sent by the driver of a vehicle involved, directly to the BMV.

Hoosier motorists are reminded that the laws regarding individuals operating vehicles without legal insurance remain the same. Individuals who cannot provide adequate proof that they were insured at the time of an accident will receive a mandatory 90-day license suspension. Following the 90-day suspension period, all requirements for reinstatement must be met before driving privileges are restored.

A copy of the new form can be downloaded here or may be picked up from our records bureau in the front lobby of the central police station with a copy of the police report if applicable.

Hit & Run crash investigations (leaving the scene) may also have a report taken if suspect vehicle evidence can be recovered at the scene, or if witnessed and suspect information is known. If no suspect/vehicle information is known, then you can fill out the self reporting crash report (linked above) and forward this to your insurance company to process a claim on your own.
posted by South Bend Police Department @ 7:20 AM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post