Thursday, November 30, 2006
4-way stop signs

Q: My question is about intersections with 4-way stop signs. Almost every day (and sometimes several times a day) I encounter a situation where I need to make a left hand turn at a 4-way stop intersection. The car opposite me is going straight and we were at the intersection at the same time. They will not move into the intersection and wait for me to turn left before they go straight, or
they will wave me to turn left. On other occasions, I will be going straight through an intersection and the car opposite me is turning left. They will start turning left before I have taken my turn. What is the appropriate way for me to respond to either of these situations?

A: Indiana Code requires when two (2) vehicles approach or enter an intersection from different highways at approximately the same time, the person who drives the vehicle on the left shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on the right. (IC 9-21-8-29), or a person who drives a vehicle within an intersection intending to turn to the left shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction that is within the intersection or so close to the intersection as to constitute
an immediate hazard. After yielding and giving a signal the person who drives the vehicle may make the left turn, and the persons who drive other vehicles approaching the intersection from the opposite direction shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle making the left turn.(IC 9-21-8-30)

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 9:09 PM  
What kind of ID is needed to need to ride a scooter

Q: I have 2 questions. One, what kind of ID is needed to need to ride a scooter under 50cc? Is it a State ID card? And can I drive with a car drivers license? Two, can a person 16 and over use a pellet gun under the home invasion act?

A: Indiana requires an official state issued ID card or an IN Operators License to operate, as previously discussed. On the second question, I am not sure about the "home invasion act" that you mention, however pellet type guns can be used within the home as they are not regulated federally like firearms.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 2:01 AM  
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Talking to a male online

Q: I live in Florida. my 15 yoa granddaughter lives with me. She is talking to a male online from South Bend. He says he goes to high school there and is in the 10th grade. How can I be sure the person she is talking to is in the 10th grade and 16 yoa not 26 yoa ?? Is there any police report I can order or wouldthe school confirm that he goes to school there ??

A: It is difficult to determine identity behind the cloak of the internet, which is why parents need to closely monitor the activity of their children, either by direct monitoring or software programs to limit access. More information can be found here on protecting children online.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 5:34 PM  
Child car seat installation

Q: Where can I have my car seat installed correctly, or have help doing so? I thought I heard that you can go to the police station. Is this true?

A: Yes. Child Seat Installation Clinics are held for parents wanting their child/booster seat installations examined to be sure the placement and installation is correct. For information on these clinics (appointments needed) please call Sgt Bill Kraus at 574.235.7515. More info.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 11:04 AM  
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Outstanding warrant

Q: My granddaughter has an outstanding warrant in South Bend. For Burglary and I think minor drug charges. She was picked up about a week ago and is being held in FL. Will she be brought back to South Bend? If so, how long does it take? I also have reason to believe that she was involved in her fathers death earlierthis year. Will she be questioned about that if she is brought back?

A. If your relative has a warrant that St Joseph County will extradite back to IN on, then that process can take time, typically extradition time will vary, but from FL could be approximately 10-14 business days, give or take. As far as other information on an active case, I can't answer without specifics, other than to say if a detective needs to speak with her, that may be possible.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 9:43 PM  
Monday, November 20, 2006
Pick them up for extradition on a warrant?

Q: There is an individual living in South Bend with a felony warrant issued from a surrounding state. Will you pick them up for extradition on a warrant?

A: The Warrant & Fugitive Division of the County Police handles warrant service and pickups.
If you know the location of someone wanted you may call the Warrant Office M-F 0800-1630 hrs at 574-235-9756 or 574-235-9611 anytime to report the whereabouts of a wanted person.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 5:39 PM  
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Hours of Curfew
Q: Our son will be turning 17 in November and we would like confirmation on the hours of curfew. He was told by a friend that it was 11:00 on weekends but as long as you were on the road on your way home you could not get in trouble if stopped. We don't agree. Please advise.

A: The Indiana Curfew Law, revised and placed into effect Summer of 2006 requires juveniles, 14 and under, to be at home during the hours of 11 PM and 5 AM.

The same is true for 15, 16 and 17 year olds who are allowed to stay out until 1 AM on weekends. The curfew laws have undergone changes to accommodate a growing list of reasons under which juveniles can legally be out past curfew. The list includes, work reasons, religious reasons, employment reasons, and basically, anyone who has the written permission of their parents to be out. The law can be viewed here.
posted by South Bend Police Department @ 11:40 AM  
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Parking lights
Q: When can I drive with just my parking lights on, and when do I have to use my headlights?

Parking lights are just that - parking lights. They are not intended for driving. Any time you feel you should have your lights on, put the headlights on too. It doesn't require any extra effort and it makes you much more visible. The Indiana Vehicle Code states that headlights must be used between sunset and sunrise and / or any time when low light or bad weather, etc. reduces visibility.
posted by South Bend Police Department @ 11:35 AM  
Sunday, November 12, 2006
Applying to be a police officer

Q: I am thinking of applying to be a police officer, and just turned 21 years old. What are the requirements for being a South Bend Police officer, and how do I apply?

A: We have put together a complete listing of requirements, pay information, and frequesntly asked questions about beoming an officer on our JOBS page. Take a look, and good luck!

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 7:20 PM  
Friday, November 10, 2006
Permit to carry a concealed weapon

Q: I possess a Indiana permit to carry a concealed weapon. I will be traveling alot in a new job and need to know what other states my license is recognized in. I understand that it is good in Ill. (except Cook County..Chicago) Need toknow where else.

A: Here is a link that will show you what states honor Indiana's CCW permits.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 6:42 PM  
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Child's visitation

Q: If a father and mother agree on a child's visitation schedule and the father doesn't fullfill his time with the child, can he be held in contempt of a court order?

A: It depends upon the visitation and court custodial arrangements you have. Please contact the JJC or a family law attorney for more advice on civil custodial matters!

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 3:55 PM  
Monday, November 06, 2006
License plate was put in the back window

Q: I purchased a new car and the paper plate was put in the back window by my dealer. I was stopped and the officer said this was not okay. Is this true?

Q: I have a clear plastic license plate cover I recently purchased for my car. A friend told me the cover was illegal. I though if the cover was clear it would be O.K. Who's right?

A: This is correct. Indiana law dictates that any license plate (whether temporary (paper) or regular issue MUST be affixed permanently to the rear of the vehicle and MUST be illuminated by a white light at nighttime.

Any cover over the plate is not legal in Indiana. Even if the cover is clear and easy to see through during the day, it presents a problem at night or in sun glare. The sun or headlights of other vehicles create glare on the cover, so the numbers can not be easily read. Tinted covers are also illegal, making the plate even harder to read at all times of the day.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 2:33 PM  
Thursday, November 02, 2006

Q: Irecently heard that a person under 21 can be charged with DUI if they have ANY alcohol in their system when they are driving, not just over the 0.08% limit set for adults. Is this true?

A: Partially true. A person who is under 21 years of age is considered to be driving under the influence when their blood alcohol content is a 0.02% or greater, a very low number compared to the current 0.08% used for adults. There is also a separate section of the vehicle code that makes it an offense
for anyone under the age of 21 years of age to operate a motor vehicle with ANY alcohol in their system (known as Zero Tolerance)- this is considered Minor Transporting, which refers to consuming or physically carrying alcohol in a vehicle. The rules governing persons under 21 drinking and driving are very conservative. The best advice I can give is DON'T do it.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 7:43 PM  
Pit bulls

Q: My neighbors have a pit bull. The dog is walked by her son, who is a juvenile. I thought this was illegal.

A: Partially correct. City ordinance considers pit bulls to be "dangerous dogs" which an owner is require to walk a dog with a muzzle and by a person over 18 years of age. To report a possible animal violation, contact Animal Care & Control. 105 S. OliveSt. :: 574.235.9303

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 9:26 AM  
Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Registered sex offenders

Q: Where can I find a listing of registered sex offenders in South Bend?

A: You can search the Indiana Sex Offender Registry online.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 11:09 AM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post