Tuesday, October 31, 2006
What are the laws of moped riding?

Q: My son was stopped by police for riding his moped without a helmet. He is 15. What are the laws of moped riding?

A: You can view the complete laws regarding mopeds here. Persons under the age of 18 are required to wear a helmet and eye protection. Persons operating a motorcycle with a motorcycle learners permit are also required to wear a helmet.(IC 9-21-10-9).

The legal age for operating a moped is fifteen years of age, provided the person possess a BMV issued I.D. and wears a helmet and eye protection (IC 9-21-11-12), (IC 9-21-11-13).

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 6:23 PM  
Monday, October 30, 2006
Gun permit

Q: Does Indiana honor an out-of-state gun permit?

A: Indiana honors any right-to-carry permits issued by another state.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 2:09 PM  
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Anything before you were 21 can be taken off your record

Q: I was charged with a misdemeanor in 2001 before I was 21. I heard anything before you were 21 can be taken off your record. Is that true? If not, how long do i have to wait till it's off?

A: No. Crimes committed by someone will always stay a matter of their criminal history record. Certain offenses may be "expunged" from permanent record for lesser crimes, such as truancy, runaways, etc. However, crimes (from theft, vandalisms, robbery, etc) will stay a matter of record through your whole life. Certain records and offenses that ocurred when you are a juvenile may not be shown on a general "background" check, such as those required by an employer, for example. But this information does remain a part of your police and court records.

There is no such thing as a clean slate when you turn a certain age. In addition Indiana and most other states recognize "adult" status at 18 years of age, not 21. Other crimes, even if committed by juveniles can still be prosecuted as an adult.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 6:06 PM  
Sunday, October 22, 2006
Tinted windows
Q: What is the Indiana law concerning tinted windows?

A: No vehicle may be operated in which a windshield, side wing, side window which is part of a front door, or rear back window has been covered or treated with sunscreening material or tinting that would prevent the occupants of the vehicle from being easily recognized or identified through the window from outside the vehicle (IC 9-19-19-4). If aftermarket tint is applied it may not be darker than 30% light transmittance. If darker than 20% it is deemed unsafe and your vehicle can be impounded until the tint is removed.
posted by South Bend Police Department @ 2:35 PM  
Friday, October 20, 2006
Ticketed for speeding

Q: I was ticketed for speeding, but I did not see a posted speed limit sign. This ocurred on Ironwood. How am I supposed to know what the speed limit is?

A: On a roadway within the state of Indiana, the presumed speed limit is 30 miles per hour (conditions permitting) unless otherwise posted in urban areas. Residentialareas (nieghborhoods) the standard is 25 MPH. (Indiana code 9-21-5-2)

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 2:16 PM  
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Loud music coming from vehicles in my neighborhood
Q: What can be done about loud music coming from vehicles in my neighborhood, at all times of night and day theres at least 4 houses in my block that have vehicles that have music loud enough to shake my house and getting very annoying,I called police once and noone even came out.

A: Loud noise is a common problem, but also difficult to enforce, especially if it comes from a vehicle,
which tends to move and be gone by the time police respond, more often than not.

City ordinance 13-57 provides for Unreasonable Noise to be enforced in vehicles pretty much anytime. Loud music/noise/parties from houses is a bit more tricky with an expectation of some noise allowed typically until 11PM. If a noise complaint is made, it will be dispatched. If an officer drives into the area, the noise in question will be attempted to locate or be heard. If the officer deems it unreasonable at that point contact can be made asking the party to turn it down or other such
warning, and then a citation can be issued thereafter. If no noise is heard by the officer then no contact may be made to the offending person/vehicle/residence.

If you request a contact by the investigating officer then specify this when calling and the officer will stop by to speak with you about the incident. Often times the calls are made by anonymous residents (for understandable reasons), however without this contact if more information is needed then the officer has nothing to go on other than hearing no noise/not loud enough noise. More information on the ordinance is here.
posted by South Bend Police Department @ 7:09 PM  
Monday, October 16, 2006
Flashing red or flashing yellow traffic lights

Q: I have always been confused by a flashing red or flashing yellow traffic light at an intersection. What am I required to do at these lights?

A: On a flashing red signal, you treat the intersection as if you had a stop sign. Just come to a stop and then proceed when it is safe to do so. At a flashing yellow, you do not have to stop, but the light is advising you to proceed withcaution. Just continue alertly through the intersection.

posted by South Bend Police Department @ 12:30 AM  
Sunday, October 15, 2006
Citizen's Police Academy
Q: Can you attend the Citizen's Police Academy in you live in the city of Mishawaka or outside of the city limits? If not, do you know if they have something equivalent?

A: The SBPD Citizens Academy is primarily for city residents. So while its not limited to, preference is given for residents. The classes fill up VERY fast. To be placed on the enrollment list, stop by the front
desk of the South Bend Police Department to pick up an application or please contact one of the following officers:

Capt. John Williams: 235-5941 or Lt. Richard Powers: 235-9402
posted by South Bend Police Department @ 11:18 PM  

Welcome to the newly reformatted South Bend Police Department Blog. This blog is an excellent way for us to be more accessible to the public through open communication not typical for law enforcement.

This blog incorporates SBPD related announcements, our popular Ask A Cop feature questions still answered, Twitter updates, and other Crime Prevention related tips you can use.

Take a look at the articles posted on this blog and you’ll find many inform-
ative and interesting topics. We try to cover issues that really affect you such as providing a wide range of safety and crime prevention tips, or explaining some of the mysteries of police work so you have a better understanding of why we do things.

You also get to hear periodically from our guest bloggers such as recruits going through the academies to become officers. “Ask A Cop” is still here, and since 2006 has been very popular with over 360 questions from citizens and our answers posted to date!

Thanks for visiting. If you have any questions or suggestions about the blog, contact us!

About Ask A Cop
The South Bend Police Ask A Cop forum and blog is provided for entertainment purposes only. Content provided is for general information and does not represent an all inclusive answer for every person and every situation.

As such, all content is provided 'as is' and without warranties or guarantees of any kind, either express or implied. Use of this site and reliance on the content is exclusively at the user's risk.

Information provided on or through this site does not constitute legal advice nor legal representation. For these purposes, the user should consult an attorney.

Questions submitted to Ask A Cop are read and reviewed to determine the eligibility of the question for publication.
The South Bend Police Department reserves the right not to answer or post a question, particularly if the content is deemed unacceptable or inappropriate.

  • Submit your Ask A Cop Question Here!
  • The SBPD Blog

    From Twitter:
      follow me on Twitter
      Previous Post